Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Confessions of a gardening virgin

Today's work!
Before........


And after!


Let me just say, I am so much of a gardening virgin that I consider pulling a couple of weeds out of the ground 'gardening'! But one of my SP's for this month was to get into the garden which the HTC and I never do - which is exactly why it is in such a huge state. We are so slack with it the weeds are threatening to take over absolutely everything, it's horrible.

Anyway, I had been patiently waiting for green bin day which was this morning, and after spending an hour in there this afternoon the green bin is full and there is another small patch I have managed to clear. I think the key to me getting all of this done is chipping away at it without thinking about how much more there is to do. I have been doing pretty well with this line of thinking too, everytime I walk past the garden now I concentrate on the patch that I have done which makes me happy, rather than the many hours still to do.

I am limited somewhat because I don't want to go nuts and rip everything out and have no way of getting rid of it, so it is helping me to take it at a more sensible pace considering I keep having to wait for green bin day.

And now for a small confession - while I was out there today there was a tiny part of me that actually enjoyed it! I never ever thought I would say that. But the sun was shining, the weeds were so easy to pull out because it has been raining, and I worked out a way to do it without aggrivating my back which is great. There was a part of me that was a little disappointed when I had to stop when the bin was full.

Now I see I am slowly getting somewhere, my thoughts are starting to turn to what we could actually do with the garden once the clean out has finished. I think I will look into some ground coverings which may help the weeds and maybe even some hardy bushes and flowers that might suit the space.

0 comments: