Sunday, June 21, 2009

What's on my bookshelf




...or more accurately, what is on my coffee table, as that's where the stuff I am currently reading ends up! I have a sordid confession to make - I am reading 'Twilight' at the moment. I avoided it for a while, but in the end I had so many people tell me how great it was and how it is so much more than a teen vampire novel that I must admit - I got curious. But it was only in a conversation over books with a friend that I finally succumbed when she offered to lend me her copy.


I definitely wasn't awed at all at the start, it seemed really slow going and superficial, and I very nearly gave up on it. But once I hit about a third of the way through I really started to like it. I can see how people liken it as the 'Interview with a Vampire' for this generation, although with my rose coloured glasses firmly attached I think IWAV was much better. But then again, with that being the vampire book of my generation I would say that, wouldn't I! Although I do now intend to go back and read IWAV which I loved in my teen years in order to compare as an adult ;)


I am about three quarters of the way through Twilight now and am loving it, I will definitely be looking for the next one once I am done. Don't get me wrong, it isn't going to be winning any hugely prestigious prizes for literature anytime soon, but for a generally easy read it is quite absorbing and a really good story once you get into it.


0 comments: